09 August 2008

Sweaty, Inconsiderate, Offensive, Effeminate

...or "Things that Bother Me at the Gym".

Of late I've gotten off my lazy ass, and begun somewhat of a fitness regimen. Now, I use "lazy ass" somewhat relatively. I wouldn't categorize myself (past or present) as your stereotypical EMS Provider. I'm sure my readership (all 2 of you) will agree, that [Providers/Professionals/Employees/Workers] of Emergency Services [Public Safety] , in general aren't always in tip-top, peak, physical condition.

Conversely, I am not a Gym Rat. I don't work at the gym, I don't spend half my life at the gym, I don't receive my cable bill at the gym. Everything in moderation. Some of those freaks need a social life, or a hobby that doesn't involve rosin, full-length mirrors, and Bosu balance balls. But I digress. The following is a list of things that irk me at places of fitness, in no particular order.

Mandex. Pretty much self-explanatory. Chances are, if it was ridiculed 5, 10, 15, even 20 years ago, it's probably still a No-Go. Don't get it twisted, just because UnderArmour and similar product lines are all the rage, doesn't mean your lower half needs to be wrapped in painted on synthetics. Unless you're in contention for the Tour de France, involved in some sort of aquatics, or are an up-and-coming Luchador, leave the Lycra to the Ice Capades. Even if you participate in an activity where form-fitting clothing is appropriate (i.e. Triathlon, Greco-Roman Wrestling), it still does not belong in a gym. Sorry Mr. Unitard, but if you can buy your gym clothes at the same store that sells a man-sized Mr. Incredible costume, there's been some sort of disconnect. Hell, even Richard Simmons had enough common sense to wear man-panties to cover up the unsightly protuberance of his grapes.

For a moment, let's remain on the subject of the jewels. It's warm in the gym, you're going to get hot, and perspire. Your Boys are probably going to descend a bit lower than normal in an effort to keep your swimmers at the appropriate temperature. Please keep that in mind when making your apparel selection ante-workout, or when pondering whether "today is a good day to go Commando". I believe I speak for everyone when I state we'd rather not see your knackers pasted to your left leg in the middle of a workout. Find out where Spandex Guy bought his mantyhose and wear some support under your daisy dukes. Thank you muchly.


In MY society, where we shower regularly, cologne and perfume are purchased with two people in mind. The person who is wearing it, and the person They are trying to impress. Maybe some folks are trying to impress people at the gym, or trying to pick someone up, but the over-powering cologne is nauseating. In any setting it's inappropriate, but a gym should smell like sweat, disinfectant, rubber, and metal. Hey, Davidoff, it's a place of fitness, not the goddamn center aisle at JC Penney. Your eau de toilette is awful, tactless, and inconsiderate. And as far as the hottie on the elliptical is concerned, you'd be better off with chloroform. P.S., Let me know how that hair gel works out IF you manage to break a sweat.


Proceeding in the vein of attempting to impress folks, STOP Posing. STOP Strutting. You might look good. You might not. Yay! There're lots of mirrors. I understand that two large groups of people that frequent gyms are the insecure and the overconfident. EVERYONE wants to see their improvements, and their hardwork paying off. I don't hold that against you. Regardless, striking Mr. Olympia poses in the mirrors, or pacing laps across the gym while strutting like a peacock is obnoxious. Chances are, if people ARE looking at you, they will snicker, and make snide remarks. If that's what you're going for, drive on.

If YOU are the person who's attention has been captured, don't gawk. It's infinitely more sketchy to stare at someone at a Gym than it is at the mall. Seriously, people are half dressed, sweaty, and more vulnerable. You're are the very reason Curves, and other Female-Only gyms have opened.

Everything you need to know, you learned in Kindergarten. If you use something, put it back where you found it. It's not that difficult to place things in their proper place. Why is it that as soon as people enter a Gym they become Anal-expulsive? It seems like every weight rack has an odd number of each measurement, and there are weights randomly strewn about, in places they don't belong. I shouldn't have to go to the Spinning room to find a plate, nor should you have the curl bar in the pilates area. And quit leaving equipment on the floor.

Adam Sandler throw-back, you know, before he started doing romantic comedy. "Having Sex, or lifting weights?" Quit making so much damn noise during your workout. Grunting out the LAST rep in order to avoid moving your bowels is forgivable. After all, I wouldn't want you to soil those sweet control tops. But groaning and grunting on every repetition is not ok. It sounds like a tennis match in a roman bath house.

That's all for now.

4 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

It may please you to know that UA (stock symbol for Under Armor) has been down a lot this year. Maybe these people are moving on to other disturbing behaviors.

These are some of the reasons I don't go to a gym. They usually are not open at the hours I want to work out. They also tend to be out of my price range.

Unknown said...

I like the local Y(MCA) only because it's close to my house and it's cheap. And I STILL don't get there near enough.

Dude, you made my blogroll - your posts are awesome!

Jen said...

Found you from RogueMedic, just had to laugh at this one. Between these behaviors and the fact that it takes at least 2x as long to work out at the gym because I have to wait in line, I now have a selection of equipment at home and have become one of the weirdo "runners".

Tilly said...

Great!