22 June 2008

Emergency Medical Slobs

You've all seen them. Shirt unbuttoned, t-shirt stretched out with the lapel mic, mustard stains, boots [un-tied, unzipped, un-laced], unshaven, unbathed...the list goes on.

Sometimes you'll see them in line at the Dunkin' Donuts. Sometimes at the ED charge desk. Sometimes sitting on the diamond plate of their [emergency response vehicle], smoking a cigarette. Looking like dogshit.

There is not a valid excuse that any of you creative writers could come up with for these people looking the way they do. I don't give a damn if they're on the back-slope of a 48 hour shift, I don't care if they just worked a code for 48 minutes, I don't care if the ambient temperature is 127 degrees Fahrenheit, and it's even hotter in the back of the [emergency response vehicle].

Don't get me wrong, if you're on scene for a prolonged extrication, I understand if your shirt comes untucked. I won't hold it against you if you're actively doing push-ups on the 350lb, 3 decker carry-down code, and you look a little 'tousled". If it's late one prom night, and you just got painted with the baked ziti and rubber chicken, mixed with a little Mike's Hard Lemonade and bottom shelf tequila, I understand.

But that's not the case.

At 0715 the other morning, I witnessed your stereotypical stretcher-slinging mule. I use derogatory terms to refer to this individual because that's the image they conveyed. Individual weighed in at a modest 300lbs. Shirt untucked, unbuttoned. Pants wrinkled, no belt, and dipping below the waistline. There is no reason to look like this coming out of Dunkin' Donuts at 0715. I know full-well that this particular [emergency vehicle] was going to a local post/detail assignment. Anyone wanna chime in with some possible reasons for looking like that?

I take pride in my appearance. It's how I was brought up. It's my background. It's one of my calling cards. There are times where I look a little disheveled, but only in the middle of a call.

-If you have time to light a cigarette, you have time to tuck your shirt in.
-Unbuttoned shirts DO NOT have a slimming effect, lardass.
-Wear a belt. There is nothing professional about plumber's crack, or a drag-chute.
-Laces and zippers are devices to fasten footwear to your feet, use them. If they're broken, replace them.
-You don't HAVE to shine your boots, but at least attempt to maintain their intended color. Scuffed up boots don't make you "salty", "experienced", or "old school".
-Your shirtfront is not a napkin.
-If you have holes in any part of your uniform, replace that component.
-T-Shirts stretch. Do not hang things from the neck of your t-shirt. No one wants to see your nipples through your neck hole.

Every single EMT or Paramedic has heard co-workers lambast (verbally of course) "newbies", "wackers", and "sparkies" for trying too hard to "look the part". They ridicule Bat-Belts, wacker pouches, and the habit of carrying too much gear. However, never has an over-enthusiastic trainee detracted from our professional image simply because they have 2 sets of trauma shears (...and a flashlight, and a rappeling harness, and a gas-mask...but I digress). It's not often enough that a fellow EMS worker makes a comment, pulls aside, or outright embarasses someone for looking like Roseanne's husband Dan in an EMS uniform.

But you're right. Calling the [emergency response vehicle] by a slang term is what truly detracts from our professional image. After all, REAL bus drivers would never look this sloppy.

David Bowers wrote an article back in '05, just saying.

5 comments:

Cheating Death said...

You absolutely rock. Seriously. This is one of the better pieces I've seen on "professionalism" in EMS... Even where I will be working, with an "on-call" 24/7 schedule we are expected to show up in full uniform, up to par. I have 5 minutes to get to the station(mind you, it's about 200 feet from our new house) and that includes getting my fat ass into my uniform---all the way into it. Not half assed.

Nothing makes me happier than your closing remarks. I had responded in that discussion pretty strongly, and thus decided to remove my comments because I knew it wouldn't get anywhere. What I really wanted to say isn't approriate for many public forums!

brite69 said...

I completely agree with you. The service I'm with right now is hospital based and our crews wouldn't get 2 feet in the door before someone ragged on them fot looking like shit. The service I started with had more people that I'd like to remember that took absolutely NO pride what so ever in the way they looked. And they were a joke through out the county.

Unknown said...

I agree! I may get a little disheveled at 3am or after a long call but I put myself back together. The shirt is tucked in and I attempt to look professional. Because after all that is what we are. We have a couple of non-emergent transport services in my area that are known for looking hoorible all the time. No one trusts them. None of us would let them touch our gold fishlet alone our patients. Great post.

EE said...

My boots are unzipped...

My pants cover up that fact though, and my ankles are swollen, so there! LOL

I actually had to post a memo saying "jeans are NOT allowed to be worn in place of a uniform." Yea.

david0314 said...

well said