17 June 2008

Colloquialisms


TOTWTYTR doesn't like it when you call your Emergency response vehicle a "bus". In the spirit of sticking with topics presently in my head, I will discuss slang terms. Besides, I like discussions, and none really occur on this four day old blog. Maybe poking the hornets nest will bring me some more company.

Personally, I see no harm in such terms, I like colorful language, and slang. But then again, I come from a mixed Mili-Fire-Medi-etc background, and slang terms, like potty mouth, are a fixture. I do agree that in the wrong arena, or context, slang terms (just like f-bombs) can detract from a professional image, however, in other settings it is harmless.

Obviously, on-scene, using slang can come across as unprofessional. You generally wouldn't refer to a "patient well-known to your facility" as a "frequent flyer" to the patient, their family, or in your entry note, but they are what they are. In the [station, garage, quarters, crew-room, barn, base] you might discuss "LOLFDGBs", "welding", "skells", "tubes", "darting", "sticks", "jakes", and "blue canaries". When, on scene, you really mean "elderly woman s/p fall", "cardioversion", "less-fortunate, unemployed, unbathed citizen", "advanced airway", "needle thoracentesis", "intravenous attempts", "firefighters" and "law enforcement officers". No harm in the appropriate arena. I'm pretty sure none of your co-workers are going to gauge your professionalism based on verbage and dialect, just like they probably won't be offended if you say "fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck". However, in a patients [house, apartment, car, scene of emergency, domicile] you probably ought to sideline such terms. Same thing with in the ED.

Other terms are harmless, regardless of the setting. Some terms that vary from region to region, job to job, person to person, are not offensive to anyone, but may cause some confusion. Despite the fact that NIMS and ICS are the standard, you'll never take the dialect out of emergency services. You do, however, need to be mindful of it, just as you need to be mindful of slang terms on-scene. I can think of a thousand examples of such dialect within my experience, I won't bore you with a list.

"Hey Tim, go to the [truck, rig, rescue] get the [jump-kit, first-in, aid-bag] the [monitor, defib, lifepak] and the [stretcher, cot, bed]."

Ambulances have MANY different titles. I call the various Units I run on "Ambulance-[Number]" or "A-[number]". "Paramedic-[Number]" or "P-[number]. [Town] Rescue, or Rescue-1. CJH in Brick City refers to his units as "MIC-4", or 2404 or some variation thereof. We all have our labels on the radio. As long as you know what vehicle to get in, and [dispatch, control, fire alarm] knows who is assigned, labels don't make much of a difference.

What you call the vehicle in the inner sanctum doesn't matter. Just don't be a jackass and act unprofessional in front of outsiders.

Personally, I am far more offended by the term used in some regions for a handicapped vehicle with a lift. We call them "chair cars" or "chair vans" in my region. I've heard the term "Handi-Van" utilized. But tell me, WHO THE HELL thinks it's OK to call them "Invalid Coaches". Yeah, this means you New Jersey. That shit ain't right.

Back to ambulances, maybe, growing up around the [industry, profession, lifestyle] I had a skewed perspective, but I always pictured a Wheeled Coach when I sang...

"The wheels on the bus go round and round..."
"The doors on the bus go open and close..."
"The suction on the bus goes swish swish swish..."
"The siren on the bus goes waaaaa-waaa-waaanh..."
"The Psychs on the bus go 'I AM JESUS!"

Oh wait.

12 comments:

EE said...

""The wheels on the bus go round and round..."
"The doors on the bus go open and close..."
"The suction on the bus goes swish swish swish..."
"The siren on the bus goes waaaaa-waaa-waaanh..."
"The Psychs on the bus go 'I AM JESUS!'"

I like!

New York City's Watchdog said...

I agree with 99% of what you said here, especially about the term "Invalid Coach" which I find to be troublesome. The only point that I have to slightly disagree with is that slang terms detract from a professional image.

I will agree that depreciative slang, such as calling it a "Disco Taxi" or "Caid Cab" will detract from the image, but not the terms "Bus", "Rig", or "Truck". Hence why I have no problem with LEOs calling it by that slang term, which seems to be a sticking point with most people.

Good post though... and thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

Unknown said...

This is awesome! All because the name of my blog reminded someone of something they heard. I think the rest of his post was lost though and that was the importance of us all being able to get along on scene (ie cops, medics, and ff. Good post.

Rookie Bebe said...

"The Psychs in the back go 'I am Jesus'"

That right there got you on my blogroll. Found you by way of cheating death.

Rogue Medic said...

The term that I think should not be used is "litter" for stretcher.

It seems to be common in some places. What does this suggest to the patient? "Get on our litter." "We'll put you on our litter." "Go get the litter."

It is a term that can lead to misunderstanding and confrontation. Neither of these should be goals of EMS.

ParaCynic said...

The Soldier/Medic in me says Litter is ok. Stretchers don't fit in UH-60s.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Rogue Medic said...

Many people perceive "litter" as trash.

Not a word that leads to confidence in the treatment/transport. Since so much of what we do is hand holding, I try to avoid creating anxiety on the part of the patient.

ParaCynic said...

Litter is trash? ooooh, this
product
makes much more sense

Thank God it's not for Kitty Cats.

That was awkward.

Rogue Medic said...

Well that might keep them from moving their bowels indoors.

brite69 said...

I've always refered to the ambulances as rigs, even before I got into EMS. I think it comes from my grandmother being in EMS since before I was born. I liked that I picked up her slang cuzz it made it that much easier for me to communicate with the crews when I was a BNBD (Brand New Baby Dispatcher).

Found you by way of EE and you're totally going on my list simply for that happy little ditty at the end there!

TOTWTYTR said...

See my updated post on the Bus controversy.

firefighter4884 said...

We had a simple rule when I volunteered in EMS.

The politics and the language would be as nasty and dirty as you wanted behind closed doors (provided that no one was truly offended.)

As soon as the doors went up, the unprofessional stuff was knocked off, at least until the ambulance was safely in the station again.

--Jim